Treatment Safety & COVID-19
Extensive new safety protocols are outlined below in compliance with the Washington State Department of Health, the Washington Massage Board, and Governor Jay Inslee's four-phase reopening plan. Additional consultation was done with Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals, and the Washington State Massage Therapy Association. The below safety protocols can be updated at any time.
To all new and existing clients,
I take client safety very seriously and have implemented extra safety measures to insure my healing arts studio operates with the latest strategies to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. In addition, there are specific steps I will ask YOU to take when you visit me regarding our mutual safety.
What I will do:
- For client protection, I will don a washable facemask (a new one for each client) in my office for a minimum of 15 minutes before all client arrivals. I will also don eye protection. The facemask and eye protection will remain on the entire time during client office visits.
- At the time of my re-opening, my office will be equipped with an electronic air filtration system. Read Consumer Reports write-up "What You Need to Know About Air Purifiers and the Coronavirus" dated May 5, 2020.
- All furniture in my treatment room and business office will be wiped down before/after each client leaves with alcohol wipes. This includes all door knobs, bathroom sink, spigot handles, toilet seat, and toilet handle. In addition, I will be wiping down the inside stair banister railings, the outside railings, and the garden gate latch.
- In my treatment room there is now a tray to place jewelry and eye glasses that is wiped down after each client leaves.
- I have switched to disposable cups for water. The water pitcher is wiped down with alcohol wipe after each client leaves.
- Blankets are no longer used, however, the room and table itself are both sustantially heated for client comfort.
- The side of my desk and client chair (where I check in with clients or take payment) are wiped down with alcohol wipes after each client leaves.
- I will wash my hands thoroughly with soap and hot water before and after treating each client using the 20 second rule followed by hand sanitizer before and after each new treatment.
- I have tissues, wipes and hand sanitizers strategically placed around the treatment room and office for my use and client use.
- Until we enter a safer period of containment of the COVID-19 virus, I will be abstaining from including intraoral work (i.e., working inside the mouth) in treating clients with TMJ and other forms of jaw, neck and cranial tightness.
In return, I ask my clients to do the following to minimize exposure:
- At the time of your arrival, please call or text me from your car, and I will come out and take your temperature with an infrared no-contact thermometer. Once your temperature is shown to be within normal range, you can follow me back to my office. Waiting inside my office is being discontinued indefinitely.
- Please come prepared to wear a facemask during the entire office visit.
- Upon entering, please go straight to the restroom for a 20 second hand wash with soap and hot water before entering my office.
- Do not come if you are feeling unwell or outright sick!! Please reschedule. I will not charge you for a missed session due to illness even if it is at the last minute. Having said that, if at all possible, please provide as much notice as you can so I might refill your slot!
- Please throw your water cup in the trash can after you have had your drink. (That way I don’t have to handle it.)
- Please have already thought through what you are going to do if the impulse to cough or sneeze arises suddenly. These body functions often happen with no notice. Be prepared to cough or sneeze into your face mask if there is not enough time to grab a tissue. I know it sounds gross, but remember COVID-19 is most easily spread through aerosolized vapor. Partially sneezing without containment may still allow some aerosolized particles to escape into the room. The importance of this cannot be overemphasized.
- Please use an individually rolled wash cloth from the basket on top of the toilet. Absolutely avoid reaching for one if you have not already washed our hands with soap and hot water using the 20 second rule.
I would love to hear any of your suggestions that may enhance the health and safety for both of us in my studio. Together, we can get through this raising the odds for continued good health!
Thank you again for considering becoming or already being my client. I treasure the opportunity to work with you.